Friday, October 18, 2013

Free Four by Veronica Roth



This is a short story.  When I say short, I mean REALLY short.  Veronica retells one of the Divergent initiation/training scenes from Four's perspective.  I thought the story was very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed reading Four's thoughts.  I never would have guessed what was going through his mind at the time and I actually developed a better understanding and appreciation of his character.  I always thought that he was a bit standoffish.  Sort of hard and lacking feeling, which couldn't have been further from the truth.

I am extremely happy that I read this before reading Allegiant.  I have already pre-ordered Allegiant and was ECSTATIC to see that it will be told with an alternating point of view.  We will finally get to experience the story from both Tris and Four's perspective.

I gave Free Four 4* simply because it was so short.  The story itself was worthy of 5*, but I was expecting more.  The entire ebook is only 43 pages and contains the first 2 chapters of both Divergent and Insurgent.  There was also an intro from Veronica about why she wrote this short story and how she ultimately selected the scene that she did.  There was only about 12 pages of new content, which would have been extremely disappointing if I had purchased this instead of downloading it from the library.  Since it was form the library, I took it for what it was and I am now ready for Allegiant.

No comments:

Post a Comment